If you experience migraines, then you know the drill. Oh sure, there’s a lot of pain, but that’s not even the worst of it sometimes. Lights force you to close your eyes, sounds make the pain instantly worse, and you may even feel nauseous. If this is something you experience regularly, you are not alone. In the US, 12% of people experience at least one migraine annually.
Migraines can be debilitating and keep a person from carrying out normal, everyday activities. Consider the results of one study performed by Lipton et al. that reveals the troubles of migraines.
Quality of Life Concerns
- Household Chores – 85% experience difficulty
- Family Strife – 50% had more arguments at home
- Social Concerns – Nearly 1 in 3 didn’t want to make plans for fear of having to cancel.
The Difference Between Migraines and Headaches
Migraines are often classified as a headache because of the pain in the head that they cause. However, migraines are a neurovascular event and differ from headaches in the following ways:
- Throbbing and intense pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Light and sound sensitivities
- Long-lasting – 4 to 72 hours
Some say that migraine suffers simply have a nervous system that is more sensitive. As a result, everything from lack of sleep and stress to various foods and drinks can trigger an episode.
There is also the fact that modern medicine focuses on treating the symptoms of migraines rather than looking for a treatable cause. Is there something else you can do?
To learn more about the connection between head and neck injuries download our migraine e-book Natural and Drug-Free Ways to End Your Migraines by clicking the image below:
Treating Migraines Naturally in Graham, Washington
Dr. Craig Lapenski of Graham, Washington is attacking migraines at their source. These episodes are often caused by an atlas misalignment. The atlas is the top bone in the spine. Misalignment can result in everything from a reduction in blood and cerebrospinal fluid flow to pressure on the brainstem. Migraines are the outward manifestation of such an underlying issue.
Trained in the NUCCA treatment method, Dr. Lapenski can diagnose and correct atlas misalignments. The result for a patient can be anything from the reduction in the frequency and severity of migraines to total cessation of the issue.
- Ko L. Migraine headaches | Need to Know | PBS [Internet]. Pbs.org. 2015 [cited 21 October 2015]. Available from: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know/health/migraine-headaches/10598/
- Lipton RB, Bigal ME, Kolodner K, et al. The family impact of migraine: population-based studies in the USA and UK. Cephalalgia. 2003;23:429–40. [PubMed]
- Silberstein S. Migraines – Brain Spinal Cord and Nerve Disorders [Internet]. Merck Manuals Consumer Version. 2015 [cited 21 October 2015]. Available from:http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/brain-spinal-cord-and-nerve-disorders/headaches/migraines
- Elster E. Upper cervical chiropractic care for a patient with chronic migraine headaches with an appendix summarizing an additional 100 headache cases. Journal of Vertebral Subluxation Research. 2003;August 3 2003:1-10.
To schedule your NUCCA evaluation, click the button below: